Why Summer Is a Great Time to Get Braces for Your Child
We’d just like to take this opportunity to remind everyone why summer is a great time to get braces for your child! If your son or daughter has one of the many types of bite problems that orthodontists treat, it’s often a good idea to use their summer break to get their braces put on.
There are a number of reasons that summer is such a convenient time for taking this big step in oral healthcare—largely revolving around the fact that they kids aren’t in school—so we’ll outline some of the main ones below.
Reasons to Get Braces on During Summer Break
- It’s easier to schedule appointments while school isn’t in session and all those extra school-year activities aren’t going on. And you can avoid your child needing to miss school.
- It’s also easier to get in for a quick follow-up if necessary after the braces first go on and while your child is adjusting to them.
- New braces often cause some discomfort or soreness, and this can be distracting and more unpleasant for a kid at school.
- This gives your child some time to adjust to having braces before school starts up again.
- Your child will have an easier time getting and using remedies for braces-related soreness at home than at school.
- It’s usually less of a social concern for kids to start a new school year already wearing braces, as opposed to having more attention drawn to them by the change of getting them on during the school year.
- There’s more time to focus on developing proper oral healthcare habits without the rush to get to school in the morning or having to clean braces at school in the beginning.
- Kids tend to have growth spurts during the summer, and having braces on during this transitional period is beneficial to bite correction.
- Parents can keep a closer eye on their child while they get used to avoiding the candy and foods you can’t eat with braces. Kids are more likely to eat something they shouldn’t at school, especially in the beginning.
- Being home makes summer break a convenient time to develop new habits for eating braces-friendly snacks and meals.
- You eat more ice cream during the summer! This cold treat is great for reducing braces-related discomfort.