Is Orthodontic Treatment for Adults Common Today?
Is orthodontic treatment for adults common in this day and age? You may be wondering about this if you’re an adult with one of the many bite problems that orthodontists treat.
Sadly, many grownups are hesitant about seeing an orthodontist because there’s a misconception that this sort of care is just for pre-teens and teenagers. There are actually a bunch of persistent myths about adult orthodontic treatment. This keeps so many adults from achieving the smile they wish they had, and from making important improvements to their oral and overall health.
But, the fact of the matter is that adult orthodontic treatment is quite common these days. As the American Association of Orthodontists reports, one in three orthodontics patients are over the age of 18.
So, is orthodontic treatment for adults common today? Absolutely! Let’s take a quick look at some of the main reasons it’s become so much more widespread.
Why Is Orthodontic Treatment for Adults Common Now?
- People are hearing more about the many health benefits of straightened teeth.
- Readily available “invisible” alternatives to traditional braces—like clear aligners (e.g., Invisalign, SureSmile, ClearCorrect), tooth-colored braces, and lingual braces (which attach to the back of the teeth)—are much more appealing to adults.
- Braces technology has improved a lot over the years. It’s much less intrusive and uncomfortable, and there’s less reliance on headgear and other orthodontic devices.
- Fixing bite problems greatly boosts confidence. It also helps people feel more comfortable appearing in pictures, which have become such a big part of life now that everyone has cameras in their pockets and loves to document their daily lives on social media.
- Orthodontic treatment has become much more affordable with low monthly payments.