Thanksgiving is right around the corner, which means pretty soon you will be surrounded by friends, family, and loads of food! Many Americans look forward to the Thanksgiving feast, but if you have braces, there are a few things to consider. We have put together a list of the best food to eat, as well as a few to avoid when enjoying Thanksgiving with braces.
Safe-to-Eat Foods for a Thanksgiving with Braces
Most Thanksgiving foods are completely safe to eat with braces! These foods are soft and smooth, which are unlikely to damage any of the components of your braces.
- Sliced meats like turkey and ham, off the bone
- Salad with no hard raw fruits and vegetables
- Soft sides like mashed potatoes, stuffing, steamed vegetables, and casseroles
- Sauces like gravy and cranberry sauce
- Baked goods like rolls, muffins, and cornbread, so long as there are no added nuts
- Creamy desserts like pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie, cheesecake, and chocolate mousse
Foods to Avoid During Thanksgiving
It should be no surprise that crunchy or sticky foods should be avoided year-round when you have braces. The last thing you want to do during your holiday is to pop a bracket or bend the wire. Skip these foods during your Thanksgiving dinner to enjoy your dinner worry-free.
- Hard croutons, crackers, and crusts
- Raw fruits and vegetables like carrots, apples, and corn on the cob
- Nuts and any foods that contain nuts like pecan pie
- Sticky caramel desserts
As always, remember to floss and brush your teeth after dinner. Just make sure you wait 30 to 60 minutes to give your enamel time to settle. Even though it can be difficult to keep your braces clean, it is important to focus on great oral hygiene to stay healthy. We hope you are able to enjoy Thanksgiving with braces. Happy turkey day!